I feel that sometimes I am misunderstood and looked at wierdly for being myself and I don't feel comfortable when I'm in groups talking with friends. I wish people could see the real me but I feel like they haven't given me a chance.
High School Girl
Hey high school girl,
well you have a few options. You can really try to make yourself stand out and put in a huge effort (physically, emotionally) or you can find a group of friends who accept you for who you are and you don't need to go the extra mile to stand out. There shouldn't be any extra effort to impress them if they're your friends.
You may want to get to know people one on one first, because that tends to be easier for others to get to know you. You don't have all that pressure if you're with just one person. Eventually, once you've gotten to know each person, and they've gotten to know you, you can feel much more comfortable and you won't have to worry about impressing them or anything. Sometimes people work better one on one. Other people are probably thinking the same thing you are when they're in a group, because we all feel pressured to be something we're not. But that's not the way it should be.
If the one on one thing doesn't work out, then try to find others who have the same interests in you and form a stronger, better friendship where you can be your complete self. That's when you know it's a true friendship.
Our final advice is to be yourself. Don't be ashamed of who you are. If they give you weird stares and you continue to feel comfortable, then you know it's a friendship not worth pursuing. We hope this helps! :)
Sincerely,
Priory Peers
No comments:
Post a Comment