Hi Priory Peers:)
I am worried that a good friend of mine is going through depression. I have noticed she has these terrible cuts on her legs, and I am worried that she is cutting herself. I have no idea what to do. Should I approach her, or should I just leave her alone? I don't want to pressure her into telling me anything, I know this is something very difficult to cope with, but what if she takes it too far? Help please!
Love, A
Dear A,
the first thing we know you should definitely do is not leave her alone! If she is going through depression or a tough situation, this is when she needs you most. Just being there for her is a great help. If you and your friend are really close, then you should try asking her about it in a discreet manner. You don't want to ask her directly, because she might feel attacked and possibly get mad at you.
If she does end up telling you what's going on, all you can really do is be there for her. If she continues to hurt herself, you might want to inform her parents or an adult you know your friend has good trust in. In the end, she should know you're doing all this because you really care about her, so there shouldn't be any reason for her to get mad at you. Most of the time, however, people do get mad but you should know that you have done nothing wrong. On the contrary, you're being an excellent friend.
If she doesn't tell you what's going on, then you should still tell a trustworthy adult. Now, you don't want to assume anything because it might be that she really isn't cutting herself. However, it is always good to have someone you can trust, but also someone who will be able to help you if anything goes wrong. We aren't professional therapists, but we hope this gave you at least an idea of what to do with your friend. We already think what you're doing is great and we wish you the best of luck, as well as your friend, too. :)
With care,
Priory Peers
No comments:
Post a Comment