Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Anonymous 5 (Grades)

My grades and rapidly dropping. I got a C- and a D- on my last two science quizzes
I got a C+ on an english essay
I got a D on my last history test
I got a C on my last language quiz

My GPA is gonna get so low and my parents are going to kill me. I study a ton. Admittedly, I do get sidetracked, but it's not like I don't try. I just don't get it and there's almost zero motivation in school (especially at the end of the year)

How can I break these grades to my parents and any tips on getting them back up? What do colleges look for?

Thank you!


Hey, thanks so much for trusting in us to help you with such a big problem. We completely understand where you're coming from. We've had those moments where we try and try so hard, but it just doesn't work out and it does suck. However, there are ways you can make this problem a little better. Unfortunately, we can't magically give you better grades, but we can try and give you advice! 
We think that you should first tell your parents. You can either 1) tell it to them straight and wait for their reaction. If they get angry, try calmly explaining to them that you have worked very hard. However, you need to prove to them that you have been working hard. If they find you on Facebook or doing other stuff half the time, then that might not help your case. 2) Think of a plan on how you can solve this issue. Your best bet would be to claim responsibility and try not to be defensive. Your parents might be upset that your grades are slipping but at least you're being responsible by being honest and showing your concern. It's great to hear that you really care about your grades. Something else that might help is talking to teachers individually. They can really give you helpful tips on how to improve your grades. If you're a student who usually get good grades, I'm sure they'd be glad to help. We know some teachers might seem intimidating or you don't feel comfortable talking to them, but trust us, it DOES help. Don't be afraid to ask. 
As for college, take a biiiiiig, deeeeep breath. There are many colleges out there who would be happy to have you. Academically, the major thing colleges look for is an upward trend in grades. So, if your grades don't look to good right now, you still have time to improve. If you do, colleges will like that a lot, because they'll see your dedication. However, don't stress so much on academics. Community service is also a HUGE part. Try to involve yourself as much as possible because then you can get scholarships from different schools and colleges like that as well. In addition, some people feel like they HAVE to go to Ivy-League schools like Stanford or Harvard. The truth is you don't. There are so many colleges out there, and most of them have just as good as an education, if not better, because they're not so big. If you have parents that expect you to go to a school like that, tell them you will try as much as you can, but don't kill yourself studying. The important thing is that you try. Do the best you can and I'm sure, wherever you go, you will be completely fine. 
Final word: Don't stress out so much, take classes you can handle (don't feel pressured to take a million AP's), and enjoy high school as much as you can. :) 


Sincerely, 
Priory Peers

No comments:

Post a Comment